Monday, October 31, 2016

The saga begins

The waiting was making me impatient at Pizza-inn, Lights (its actually a place at the intersection of Malindi road and Nyali road, Mombasa. Traffic lights were responsible for giving this place the name). I looked  at my watch and it was half past one in the afternoon, Anne was forty five minutes late. I had already ordered without her twenty minutes ago. Maybe she was doing this on purpose. I couldn't leave because I was the one in need of a favor from her. So my thoughts wandered the universe as I unwillingly wait for her.

I thought of the first marriage which no one knew even from my family. Just a year after finishing high school. I knew people would think I'm stupid if I told them my intentions back then, so we made it a secret affair at the District commissioner's office.

There are many reasons people get married. It couldn't be just love. Many do it because they see time running against them, especially women. They settle, instead of a love marriage. Some crave to have companionship and intimacy, that's why to them, there is no “The one.” anyone who offers them the hand, they will gladly take it. Many do it for economic reasons. And others to propagate their seed.

 To me, this was some kind of an economic one. I had met Anne less than two months ago at the port. She was clerking for SGS while I was clerking for TRANSAMI. We became friends, and I never asked her out for a date. The supervisors and Clearing agents were the ones on her league. They could take her to expensive restaurants and Discos during the weekends. My money was for buying myself clothes, shoes and visit friends and go out to cheap places like beaches. I enjoyed the stories she told when we were working on the same berth and shift about the weekend treats. High maintenance she was, and she was a Luhya girl with noticeable broad hips.

One Wednesday during the second shift, she told me about a deal that could make us rich. She told me about a person named Cheyeza, a rich guy from South Africa who dealt with ships. He was interested in taking a few faithful Kenyans to supervise his shipments at a private berth in Durban, South Africa. Anne regarding me as a friend, she gave him my name and came to see if I was interested. It was a lot for me to decide, so I said I'll give her an answer the following day. She told me to meet her at Blue-room for dinner. The tycoon would be there.

The next day, I was early at Blue-room. I wanted to know more about the deal. At a quarter past eight, Anne entered the town restaurant followed by two men. He introduced the fat middle aged man as Mr. Cheyeza Akani. His black suit and white t-shirt made him look modest. The other guy wore a white suit and he was thin. Mr. Akani told me that I would get five times what I was getting currently. There was a small hitch though. He didn't want to give us a work-visa, he said its better to save the money and long processes of his government. So I had to get married to Anne and travel as tourists on honeymoon. The South African embassy would easily give us that visa.

What a quick start up to life changing event it was. Anne entered the cafe this time that my thoughts were traveling back to our unfortunate adventure. The pizza eaters forgot about their classy food for some minutes when Anne made the entrance. She was the kind of a girl that must draw attention. her body, clothing style, and make up emitted a romantic spell to all men who are in a hundred meters radius. That's why I chose her for this project, she  was far off Zuhura's league, the girl I wanted to give an injection of upside down love till jealousy hurts.

Anne excused herself to go to the ladies and I wandered again to our past. A day before traveling, I told my family that I was going to South Africa on tour. They were happy for me and did not ask too many questions. The flight took approximately five hours and Kenya airways landed us in Durban at six thirty in the evening. Our host took us to a villa in a posh neighborhood known as  Glen Ashley, and we spent the night sleeping on very comfortable beds. Although the house seemed expensive, there were things that went on that seemed cheap. First, the bedroom doors could not lock from inside and there were two beds in each room. There were four rooms in total and one had a lock, it Belonged to Phetoho who I later knew to be our supervisor. The servants quarter had two beds too.

The next day, at six in the morning, we were all woken up. Three girls and five men were lined up in Phetoho's room. He gave each one of us a blue leather bag. He said the bag has a hundred sachets, if we finish that we come home to get another. I was confused and asked about our jobs at the South African port. The other guys laughed at me. Even Anne laughed. It seems she knew what was going on.

Phetoho told those of us who were new that our commission is a hundred dollars for each bag sold. Everyone had his station to sell, and mine was Victoria street market, Phetoho said. I peeked inside the bag and saw the white substance in a hundred gram sachets. I returned the bag and told him I don't sell drugs and I wanted to return home. He told me to find my way home and leave that residence instantly. After about ten minuets of deep thinking, I took the bag and we were driven out. Everyone to his station. Small dealers came and we exchanged money with goods discreetly. One sachet had enough dose to  give to about twenty or thirty people. I had no choice. Where would I eat and sleep?

After Three weeks one girl dropped her shopping just a few yards in front of me. I went to help her and she was grateful. It showed in her sincere smile. After three days, she passed by just to say hello. And the next time she invited me for dinner after finishing my activities. She told me her name was Amahle. And when we were on the dinner table on Friday night, she asked me why I was doing that illegal dangerous job? I explained to her and she understood. She said she could help me. And she took my number before we said good-bye that night.

After three days, she called and told me good news. She had talked to her father and he agreed to employ me and Anne at 3rd Rock which was next to City brokers. On telling Anne, she refused. So I had to go alone. My employer was good, though I was not making a quarter of what I used to make with the heroine and cocaine. I stayed in a servant's quarter at his place in Umgeni park. During weekends, he would take us to North beach or long drives to Johannesburg. Amahle was so nice to me. She had even started teaching me some Zulu language like “Sawubona”, “Unjani”, which were greetings and how to reply “igama lami ngu Ahmedinho.” I was comfortable here, and peaceful.

Three days before payday, Police came to our place of work and arrested me. Later I found out that Mr. Cheyeza Akani's businesses were raided by police and only a few were caught. Anne and another Nigerian guy fled through forest routes to Mozambique heading to Tanzania which was a neighboring state to home. I was told one of the drug dealers was my wife and I had overstayed my tourist visa.

I was arraigned at a court in Somteu road the next day and was sentenced to Three years in Westville prison. Mr. Rethabile, Amahle's father was present in court and after sentencing, he told me not to worry. He spoke to lawyers and made deals with his high ranking friends and one Monday Morning he came to tell me I will serve six months. But will be deported back to Kenya when I finish doing time. Prison life was bad, but there were seven Kenyans who I could talk to while counting time in there. They were true drug dealers and thieves.

Anne returned back from the ladies and I couldn't help smile when I combined that pretty face with the past. She apologized for being late. I said no problem, then she asked me what it is that I wanted to see her about? I told her about Zuhura. I explained to her that I like her, but it seems she doesn't feel the same. She has started going out with another strange guy. The problem is, these outs, its just going as friends. I have told her about my feelings but she cant commit back, so she says. So I want you and me to act. To make our own movie in the estate where she would be our targeted audience.

Anne refused the idea at first. She said she was busy with her new perfume selling business and she has a boyfriend who is in Dubai. I told her it was important to me, and its not like we are going to hurt anyone physically. When she remained undecided for long, I reminded her of what she put me through. “I did time in South Africa because of you Anne. And had I wanted, I could have told the authorities and you would be caught before crossing the border. I know the secret route too, we were coached together on emergencies.” she released a heavy breath, then said O.K while flirting with her eyes. “But I have only one week Ahmedinho, Just tell me where to be and what to do and we will teach that bitch a lesson. She cant diss good boys like you."

No comments:

Post a Comment